2.22.2008

Really.Good.Coffee

For several weeks I have been driving past a sign advertising Satellite Coffee on Division Avenue in Tacoma. This afternoon I decided to check them out.

The parking lot has 5 (or is it 6?) spaces. A wooden set of stairs leads to the second story of a small blue space that looks like a mobile home, in which Satellite resides. This is a bare-bones shop: Inside is one table and a bar with 2 stools against the window. The menu is posted on the counter. As far as food, at 2 p.m. there were 4 bagels and 2 scones left beneath the counter. However, the coffee is anything but bare-bones. . .

Go to Satellite for custom-made coffee. I ordered a tall dry cappuccino with a shot of vanilla for some flavor. The barista used a digital timer to pull perfectly-timed shots (oh by the way a tall is automatically 2 shots, the way it should be--in my opinion anyway). Then he proceeded to carefully spoon foam into my cup, making more halfway through because he was unsatisfied with the amount. My foam was not treated, but the customer before me had a well-designed heart in the foam on his latte.

Three customers came in or were already there while I waited for my coffee and they were greeted with their names and questioned about whether they wanted their usual order. I plan to return earlier in the day next week to see what the morning rush is like.

Bottom line: Go to Satellite for good coffee (they use Stumptown coffee from Portland--which they sell by the bag). Do not go if you are in a hurry (that's what Starbucks is for).

3 comments:

rachel said...

The last Stumptown Coffee I had was sour & watery & didn't taste like much, but what do I know?!

.shrugs. there's only so much a coffee taster can do.


All that aside, do you want to check out Stumptown on Capitol Hill sometime? :)

xo

gourmetgirl said...

Sure! :)

The Chatty Housewife said...

Hey there! I got your comment on my blog and I feel like I know you. Do I?