This week I flew back East to spend a week at home for the first time since moving to the Pacific Northwest one year ago. On this trip I realized my perspective has changed and also noticed some of the differences between the left and right coasts. Here are some of my observations:
1. Short trees. Back East they hug the ground and spread together rather than reaching to the sky as they do here. I'm trying to decide if that is a metaphor befitting the people of each area as well?
2. Smoking policies. In Pennsylvania you still have to ask to be seated in the nonsmoking section in a restaurant.
3. The contours of the land. Round gently rolling hills characterize PA; rugged forests and jagged peaks drew me here.
4. Tans. The dark skin from the early spring sunshine on the East Coast was very obvious next to my pasty white winter-is-not-quite-over Seattle skin.
5. Cleanliness. I have gotten used to the availability of toilet seat covers in every public restroom, but back East, even in airport bathrooms, they may or may not exist.
The gently rolling hillsides, quiet life and love of the people back home gripped me this past week, but glimpsing the mountains and the evergreens as my plane neared Seatac reinforced my decision to live here. I'm back, and I'll try to write more often...
5.10.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment