1.02.2012

Inspiration from the Sale Rack

I recently discovered the rack hidden in the back of my local QFC near the meat case that houses all manner of delectable baked goods at very low prices. Yes, it took me a year, but in my defense they hide it well far from the fresh baked goods. A couple weeks ago I found some artisan whole wheat slider buns. I forgot about them and while cleaning out the refrigerator in preparation for vacation I popped them in the freezer and vowed to look for recipes.

We managed to get sick while on vacation but were feeling well enough to eat today, so I ventured out to the grocery store [along with the entire population of my town and then some]. Tonight's dinner, inspired by the sale slider buns: Epicurious Chipotle Pulled Turkey Drumstick Sliders with Brussel Sprouts Slaw. I sauteed the brussels sprouts instead of serving raw, which was great. I used about 2 tablespoons of chipotles in adobo (approximately two chili peppers and some sauce). Your family and friends who do not like spicy foods will find that too hot, but the ones who like it in the range of spicy-but-can-still-taste-the-food will find it just right.

These sliders were a hit, and I'm definitely eyeing that sale rack when I'm in QFC. I only wish we were feeling well enough to invite a bunch of people over to share, but that's for another day. Happy New Year all!

No comments: