1.28.2010

Where's the Beef?

Tonight's dinner was a time-honored American tradition: The Burger. A slight amount of guilt is niggling at my fingers as I write this post after yesterday's conversation with a friend about shopping only from the perimeter of the grocery store (a.k.a. healthy, fresh, non-packaged foods) and while trying to lean more toward the plant side of omnivorous eating habits. But I digress...

Exploring is one of my favorite pastimes and when presented with the opportunity to go somewhere I'm not usually found I take the chance. Being in the vicinity of Phinney Ridge this evening, a burger at Red Mill was in order. Red Mill serves typical burger joint fare--burgers, onion rings, fries, shakes, and other drinks--but it is the flavor of the beef and interesting additions to the burgers that make me go back.

Don't bother with the fries, but try the onion rings. The shakes are amazing too. Tonight, though, I only ate the Red Onion Jam burger. A thin but flavorful patty of beef is sandwiched in a sesame seed bun between Red Mill's special sauce, red onion "jam" (caramelized red onions with other secret ingredients), and a large piece of romaine lettuce. I love Red Mill for the simple fact that I can actually get my mouth around their burgers (unlike another chain of a similar name). Reason #2: Usually I can finish one off without making a complete mess of the floor, the table, my hands, or my clothing.

Check out the website for directions, appetizing photos, and other information: Gotta love the map to the scale of one sesame seed = 300 miles. By the way: Cash only.

1 comment:

rachel said...

wow. guess I should read your blog more often - especially since you referenced me...

never had a red mill burger but I've only heard good things. Glad you enjoyed it. Perhaps if I ever make it to Seattle again we could go? I certainly don't need one from the other Red place, to which, I believe, you referred?! :)