10.01.2009

And I just have to add...

I still get so excited when I am in the vicinity of Cupcake Royale and can have a Verite cappuccino. Beautiful foam. Strong espresso. It's a lovely thing.

Last weekend I had not one, but two, chances to visit Cupcake Royale. Friday night after Delancey we headed over to Cupcake Royale for dessert (the cookie was, uh, just a second course, kinda like the cheese plate that comes before dessert in some countries, ahem). Unlike the last time I was in on Labor Day, this time they actually had...drumroll...Blue Mountain Huckleberry (September's flavor of the month). Oh, yeah.

Then Sunday afternoon I went to Golden Gardens with two friends for one last chance to soak up the warm sun and fresh air. After walking the beach, and being in Ballard, naturally you have to go get a cupcake. Next up: Salted Caramel. Yep, also delicious!

On a side note: I was able to burn off at least one cupcake (I hope) by getting in one last hike on Saturday. Got up early and drove over Snoqualmie Pass with a friend to hike in the Teanaway area to Ingalls Lake.  The sky was an incredible deep blue. It was somewhat windy and up at the lake the chill in the air meant pulling out the fleece, but the weather was otherwise perfect. We were hoping to see the larches turning yellow but unfortunately not much was happening yet. However, the blueberry bushes are crimson and there are a few flowers here and there still blooming. The hike climbs steadily through forest and then down into meadows with lots of good campsites. The last bit is some scrambling and then you crest the rocks and suddenly you're at the lake. We ate lunch there while enjoying the views of the craggy peaks across the lake. A man who was taking a break by the lake pointed out two mountain goats way up on top of one of the peaks to the west. Their climbing skills are amazing!

1 comment:

Brooke said...

The hike sounds gorgeous and exhilirating. The cupcakes sound even better : ) I had dreams about donuts last night and after reading this post and thinking of my dream I don't know how I'm ever going to workout and have something "good for me" for breakfast. Ack! BTW, I could get used to your late Wednesday night junk food posts--I'm sensing a theme here...