9.15.2009

These are the days when birds come back...

A very few, a bird or two, to take a backward look. (Emily Dickinson, Indian Summer)

Last day of the market. Summer's unofficial end. Sigh. And it was 80 degrees, perfectly described in the above mentioned poem--
These are the days when skies put on
The old, old sophistries of June,
-A blue and gold mistake.

Since I couldn't break my promise to you in June, I finally had a chocolate truffle today. I chose Xocolatl: A velvety rich bit of chocolate garnished with chili pepper flakes and a sprinkling of salt. It was tasty!

After the chocolate appetizer came dinner - phad Thai and potstickers from one of the vendors (who, perchance, is opening a restaurant at the end of October on Lake Street along the waterfront in Kirkland, so there will be ample opportunity to try her food cooked indoors this winter).

I came home armed with a flat of raspberries, pluots, plums, leeks, corn on the cob, and cucumbers. Due to a proliferation of dinners out and being away for the weekend I am still working on last week's blueberries and zucchini.

Otherwise...I had a friend visiting for the greater part of the last two weeks during which time I showed her my favorite haunts around Seattle while discovering new ones. I promise to share all the new (and some of the old) discoveries with you in a future post.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Can't wait. And I'm always SO jealous of your farmer's market. Of all the places I've lived we've never had one with quite so much produce as you describe.