6.18.2009

Summmmmmmmerrrrrrrrrr

BBQ and volleyball evenings at the park by the lake...running outdoors...biking the trail without freezing my hands off...breakfast on the patio...walking out the door to work without needing to put on a coat...sandals and flip flops...more sun than rain...more warmth than chill...summer is here! Thirty straight days without rain, so different from last June.

In between working an average of 50 hours per week I have found time to do all of the above plus....www.rentonfarmersmarket.com. The market opened June 2. I was teaching a late class that night and missed the opener but was able to go this week and last. I filled my trusty little canvas bag with the sweetest strawberries imaginable, baby bok choy, spring greens, asparagus, and Rainier cherries, among other delectable locally grown foods. I take a twenty and stock up with fruits and veggies or other assorted goods for the week...then the following Tuesday do it all over again. One of my favorite vendors has an arrangement of baskets filled with baby carrots and beets (tops still attached) and assorted greens, like the bok choy; you can mix and match 3 bunches for $6. There's a vendor selling chocolate truffles in cool flavors like jalapeno and lavender...I'll report on those when I try them. I also sometimes splurge on a good loaf of bread and usually pick up a gorgeous bouquet of flowers as well. Last week the students from the technical college's chef program were giving demonstrations, and there is always live music as well.

So from the farmers market finds I'm enjoying strawberries on my granola, Rainier cherries for a midmorning or midafternoon snack if I'm actually sitting at my desk at work, baby bok choy sauteed in sesame oil and garlic as a salmon topping, and asparagus broiled with pepper and olive oil.

Tonight's dinner, however, was more Trader Joe's-esque: I unearthed some spring roll wrappers while reorganizing our pantry last weekend, so I folded in leftover rotisserie chicken, shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, and cilantro, then dipped the rolls in TJ's Gyoza Dipping Sauce. The wrappers have to soak in water for a couple minutes to soften, so I ended up filling and eating a roll while soaking the next wrapper.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Okay, green with jealousy. Berries don't abound over here and neither do cherries and I'm just missing both like...well, like I don't know what. Great finds at your farmer's market. Way to keep my hungry each time I read : ) And I'm waiting with baited breath to hear the report on the lavender truffles!