
Last weekend a group of friends and I decided to drive north and explore the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival via bike. Since my first trip to the cold, gray, wet Pacific Northwest many years ago where I was first introduced to the fields of glorious color, now that I live here I make a point to go every year.
The festival is April 1-30 but the weather does not always cooperate with those dates. Apparently the festival dates were extended to yesterday this year due to the late blooming. On April 11 only the daffodils were blooming, with no sign of the stars of the show - the tulips. However, amid pouring rain we drove north on the 25th hoping that the stars were finally shining. Indeed...
For those of you interested in biking the fields, exit I-5 at downtown Mt. Vernon and drive through town to Edgewater Park. We enjoyed a picnic lunch on the banks of the river before hopping on our chosen transportation. We biked a couple miles on the main route to the fields and then turned left and continued biking around to the various fields.
Seeing the fields by bike has multiple perks, as we discovered. While waiting to turn left at an intersection we were given first priority by the crossing guard. Driving into Tulip Town's parking lot we were able to bike through the lot straight into the fields for free. Biking into the wide rows between the fields is permitted and enhances the photo ops.
I'd highly recommend this method of seeing the tulips. You missed it this year, but make plans to do it next year!

2 comments:
That sounds like a lot of fun! I've only been there once or twice, but each time it has been by car.
Man oh man do I wish I could've gone with you girls : ) Exercise, company and beauty!
Post a Comment